For some, going to see a lawyer is like going to the dentist—but I ensure you that it doesn’t have to be! I promise we’re not all scary vampires. I’ve made a list of the five most important things to do when you’re faced with a situation where you need legal representation. Help your lawyer help you by following these tips:
1. Be prepared. Before you meet with your attorney, make a list of all the questions you may have. Organize all relevant documents and contact lists of everyone involved so that your lawyer will not have to sort through a mess of papers or search for more information. Get your story straight—prepare a detailed and comprehensive summary of the situation from start to finish. Your lawyer may ask for a written statement, notes, and/or a timeline of the event.
2. Tell the truth. It is your responsibility to tell your lawyer everything—the good, the bad, and the ugly. It is important to be completely honest with your attorney so that they can present the best possible defense. Omitting relevant facts and creating fictitious information will only hurt you in the end. The attorney-client privilege allows the conversations between you and your lawyer to remain confidential and private. Guilty or not guilty, your lawyer is on your team!
3. Don’t be shy. Legal jargon is confusing and complex. Don’t feel intimidated or embarrassed if you don’t understand something, just ask your lawyer for clarification or if you have any questions.
4. Keep your lawyer informed. Remain in contact with your lawyer throughout the duration of the case. Update them if anything changes or if new information arises. Every detail and fact can dramatically affect your legal situation. Keep your lawyer in the loop so they can make changes to your case.
5. Be prompt. Attorneys work around tight deadlines. Cooperate and respect your lawyer’s requests by responding promptly. If they say they need something by a certain day, make sure you have it to them by then.
If you are in need of legal representation, I am committed to providing effective and satisfactory law service. I work with you to provide the representation you need and deserve—every case is my most important case. Call us to schedule a free consultation.