Filing a lawsuit after losing a family member due to a wrongful death may seem like a demanding prospect to consider and follow through on. After suffering a loss of a family member due to an unfortunate accident, dealing with the grief is already an immeasurable hurdle. Although having to take care of legal proceedings is one of the many daunting tasks to complete after a loss, the compensation received could ultimately aid the financial challenges of losing a loved one. The Khorozian Law Group will compassionately and respectfully investigate cases of wrongful death and allow you and your family to determine the proper compensation needed. While New Jersey law does not allow for the recovery of damages for grief, our firm will work tirelessly to get you the justice deserved.
Some of the wrongful death lawsuits our office can help you win include:
- Medical malpractice;
- Car accidents;
- Pedestrian accidents;
- Construction accidents;
- Defective products;
- Nursing home abuse and neglect;
- Lack of security to prevent violent crime;
- Wrongdoing by law enforcement; and
- Occupational exposure to asbestos and other toxins.
Considerations for Compensation
By law, only close family members or those included in the decedent’s will as beneficiaries are eligible to file a wrongful death claim. Some factors that are considered in determining the value of a wrongful death claim include:
- Age of the decedent at the time of death;
- Earnings of the decedent at time of death;
- Education and future earnings potential of the decedent;
- Decedent’s life expectancy;
- Loss of nurture and training if the claimant is a minor child;
- The extent to which the decedent contributed to the support of the claimant prior to death;
- Household services the decedent provided prior to death; and
- The defendant’s conduct (if it was intentional, negligent or depraved).
The Khorozian Law Group will review the facts and evidence surrounding your case, help gather witnesses, and determine the validity of the claim. Through defending a case, we may be able to recover medical expenses incurred, funeral expenses, lost earnings, as well as compensation for any future services normally provided by the decedent. The surviving spouse may also recover for the loss of companionship, help, and affection from their lost loved one. Although no amount of money can eradicate the grief of the loss of a loved one, putting a lawsuit through can ease the financial burden along with providing closure. We will provide empathetic and supportive service through the difficulties faced after a loss. Contact the Khorozian Law Group today for a free consultation (201) 944-9200.